Would you be able to help this user if you encountered the same issue? If you are trying to add a family member in Find My Friends, or if you are trying to track the location of a friend, but you are being told that the iPhone location is not available. Such a disappointment.
The Find My Friends application is a great tool to track the location of your friends. If you add your family members or friends to the app, you will be able to locate them easily in case of an emergency. It is not possible for you to use this feature due to the “Find My Friends location not available” issue. The good news is that you do not need to be too worried about this issue, as there are methods that can help you.
Is Find My Friends Location not available?
We should start by looking at the cause of the problem, so we know how to resolve it. In the following paragraphs, we list some possible causes of iPhone location not being available.
- Find My Friends is not signed in on this device.
- It has been turned off.
- There is no wireless or cellular connection.
- There is no accurate time on the device.
- The location service is not enabled.
- Find My Friends has been set to Hide My Location.
- This feature is not available in this country or region.
- The device is experiencing some issues with the software.
Try calling the person to see if he or she is down or not connected to the Internet before trying any fixes. The time you save might be worth it.
Find My Friends Location on iPhone Not Working
When you have verified that your friend is signed into Find My Friends and connected to the Internet but it says location not available, you can try the following methods to resolve the issue.
Force Close Find My Friends App – Fix No 1
The first thing you can do if it says iPhone location is not available is to try this.
For iPhone X and later:
- You can pause in the middle of the screen by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
- Find My Friends is found by sliding right or left.
- The Find My Friends preview can be closed by swiping up.
For iPhone SE, iPhone 8 and earlier, and iPod touch:
- Press the Home button twice.
- You can find Find My Friends by swiping right or left.
- Tap the Find My Friends preview to close it.
If the problem still persists, relaunch Find My iPhone. Otherwise, proceed to the next method.
Hard Reset Your iPhone – Fix No 2
Restarting the device can help clear out all background apps and refresh the device’s memory, resolving minor glitches that cause the location not available on iPhone issue.
- Force restart iPhone 8 and later & iPad with Face ID:
You need to press and release both the Volume Up button and the Volume Down button quickly followed by holding the Side/Power button until the Apple logo appears.
- Force restart iPhone 7/7 Plus:
As soon as the Apple logo appears, press and hold both the Top and Volume Down buttons together.
- Force restart iPhone 6s, SE and earlier & iPad with home button:
When the Apple logo appears, press the home button and the Top (or Side) button simultaneously.
Please Correct the Date and Time – Fix No 3
The Find My Friends location not available error can be caused by incorrect data and time. Setting them automatically based on the time zone and location is recommended. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn on Set Automatically. In case it already has one, turn it off and then back on after 10-20 seconds.